This blog may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission to fund my coffee habit if you use these links to make a purchase. You will not be charged extra, and you’ll keep this mama going. I love these products already and just want to share...it’s a win for everyone, really!
UPDATED: September 2020
A quick and easy comfort food…
It is officially fall, however it may not always feel like it here in sunny Central Florida. Despite the lack of cool weather, we had a craving for a classic, grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup.
I didn’t want just plain old tomato soup though, 1) because I didn’t have Frito’s to go on top, which is mandatory, and 2) I was reallllly wanting roasted red pepper soup just like the famous one that Trader Joe’s carries. This is my take on the TJ’s version and it was super simple to make.
Let’s Get Cooking!
For this recipe I used one family size can of Campbell’s Tomato Soup. In my Magic Bullet (you could also use an immersion blender, food processor or traditional blender) I puréed half of a jar, or one whole pepper, of Roasted Red Peppers (You Can Find it Here) along with roughly 1/4 of the can of tomato soup. Then I simply added the pepper purée to a large sauce pan, the remaining contents of the tomato soup and I choose to use milk instead of water.
Additionally, I used one large garlic clove grated on a Microplane (Like This One) and around two teaspoons of dried basil. That was it!!! Mix it all together and you have one delicious and marvelously quick tomato soup.
Call me a copycat…
I don’t know about your Trader Joe’s, or maybe you don’t have one nearby, but ours has the WORST parking lot, so as much as I love it, I avoid it like the plague. This soup gives me all the same TJ’s Roasted Red Pepper soup feels and it’s a cinch.
I mentioned earlier that when eating plain tomato soup, I top it with Frito’s (if you don’t, you’re missing out). This time however, I opted to sprinkle some blue cheese crumbles on top and OH MY WORD it was amazing!!! The sharp, salty flavor of the blue cheese played off of the sweetness that the roasted red pepper added to the soup, and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to look back. It was THAT good.
If you’re looking to upgrade your simple meal without breaking the bank or taking a ton of time, this soup is a winner. I hope you love it as much as I do!
Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Bisque Soup
- Blender or Food Processor
- 6 oz Roasted Red Peppers
- 24 oz Canned Tomato Soup (1 family size can or 2 regular size cans)
- 20 oz Milk or Water
- 2 cloves Fresh Garlic Minced (or 1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic in oil)
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 4 oz Crumbled Blue Cheese (optional) for topping
- Garlic Croutons (optional) for topping
- Puree the roasted red peppers with about 1/4 the amount of condensed soup in a blender or food processor
- Transfer red pepper puree and remainder of tomato soup to a large saucepan
- Grate the garlic on a microplane or finely mince, then add to the soup mixture
- Add the dried basil to the soup and stir to combine
- Heat on Low/Med until desired temperature, stirring occasionally to prevent scalding
- Once heated through, serve into bowls and optionally top with blue cheese crumbles and croutons